Holy Trinity of Saccargia
Codrongianos – Sassari
The Basilica of the Holy Trinity of Saccargia is a Romanesque church located in the municipality of Codrongianos in the province of Sassari, one of the most important examples of this style in Sardinia.
Like many other churches of Sardinia, the church of SS of Saccargia is lonely in the middle of a valley. From a height of 40 m, the elegant shape of the bell tower soars skyward. The church that stands beside it, is modeled on the same style, giving the whole an architectural sense of delicacy and perfection. In fact, more than admire the style in which the church was built, namely the alternation of white limestone and black basalt, its elegant mullioned windows, its many rosettes, the columns of the facade and the two largest of the porch, we linger to enjoy the atmosphere that emanates from this basilica. Isolated, hit by a sun hot enough to fry an egg, polished by strong winds, the church challenges the passage of time and with its monastic quiet attracts us (and many other tourists like us) and leaves us emotionally involved.
It was completed in 1116 on the ruins of a pre-existing monastery and was entrusted to the Camaldolese monks who founded their abbey. Later extension works dating from 1118 to 1120 were executed by architects and craftsmen of the Pisan school, : the extension of the classroom, the raising of the walls, a new facade and the building of the very high campanile. The portico on the facade was probably added later, when the church was finished, and is attributed to workers from Lucca. At the end of the twelfth century the central apse was painted by an unknown artist from central Italy, still this can be considered the only example in excellent condition of Sardinia Romanesque mural painting .
The plant is a single nave with a transept onto which face three apses. The façade is preceded by a porch that has a gable roof punctuated by seven round arches resting on pillars. To the northwest rises the quadrangular bell tower that communicates with the inside transept. In the back of the church open 3 apses, between which the central is the highest and broadest; also it is entirely decorated with a fresco in which stands the figure of Christ in almond (the halo is almond-shaped). Inside the church, the round arches lead to the two arms of the transept, where there are two chapels covered with groin vaults.
The Basilica is still consecrated and you can follow a mass or celebrate weddings. The “Cooperativa Aretè” – phone number 3470007882 facilitates access every day.
GPS Coordinates: 40.671389, 8.688889