Sassari, 14th of August
Also this year on 14th of August will be renewed an event perpetuated through the centuries: the Descent of Candelieri( declared Unesco World Heritage), or Faradda, as it is normally called by the people of Sassari.
The origins date back to the second half of the 13th century, at that time Sassari was under Pisan domination, and the tradition of offering a candle to the Madonna at the eve of the Assumption was imported from Pisa.
In the 16th and 17th centuries, this event took on the form of religious vow formulated by “Gremi“, the ancient trade and craft corporations, and from the town authorities, after numerous plagues hit the town; so ten large wooden candles were offered to the Madonna and this event or better this tradition has been kept alive over the centuries by the Gremi, which have kept up the religious vow to this days.
The Gremi are the protagonists of this event, the current members of these guilds are the descendents of the founders of ancient associations, founded in the medieval following the example of the most important towns of Italy and Spain.
In the 16th and 17th centuries their statutes were laid down and also they obtained a chappel for the celebration of their religious rites.
Their names are:
- Blacksmiths, the symbols of the trade are the anvil, the hammer and the compass.
- Stoneworkers, this is the guild of the ancient chisellers, stone hewers and stone cutters.
- Wayfarers, these were the ancient transporters and travelling salesmen.
- Farmworkers, also called the Diggers.
- Carpenters, their patron saint is St.Joseph.
- Greengrocers, this guild is a testimony of Sassari’s origins as an agricultural town.
- Cobblers, their patron saint is St.Lucia.
- Tailors, their symbol is the scissors and their Candeliere differs from the others due to it’s Baroque style.
- Builders,their symbols are the set square, the hammer and the compass.
- Landowners, they were the big owners of the lands used for the cultivation of cereals.
The most important figures of all the ten guilds of “Gremi” are the “Obrieri“, whose job it is to carry the standard.
This is only a short tell of this interesting and great traditional event , now you must come to see the rest!!!
Gps Coordinates of Sassari: 40.726133, 8.5461478
vino,olio di oliva,cannonau,vermentino,moscato,malvasia,cagnulari,carignano
Maybe you could be also interested in: